We are proud to present our roadmap for the upcoming year, with the goals we have set out to achieve and the technologies we are going to build. In order to see the context in which Smart Mobile Studio has been created we would like to start with the background story for the product and how we got here.
How we got here
Almost two years ago Jon Lennart Aasenden did a survey of available programming languages, tools and technologies on the rise. At that point Embarcadero had not yet signaled to the community that Delphi XE2 would support OS-X and iOS. As such the Delphi community was in a state of uncertainty as to what the future held for Delphi. It was time to step back and get a clear picture of the marked.
We had successfully done what people said was impossible – and we did it using “off the shelf” Delphi components.
Now that you know where Smart Mobile Studio is coming from, let us look at the future.
While we have clear cut technological goals for the next year, our primary motivation is more altruistic:
- to facilitate a modernization of the current Object Pascal language
- to promote Object Pascal as a creative, flexible and robust language
- to make Object Pascal visible to web developers and designers
Our focus for the next 12 months is first and foremost to make what we have already delivered as robust and polished as possible. So the updates for this year is about making our existing technological advances the best that they can be. At the same time we will work to absorb aspects of the browser we have not yet covered (databases being a very important aspect). So each update will see more and more features being added to the editor, the compiler, the IDE in general and of-course – our RTL which is growing at a fast rate. The most noteworthy things to expect this year are:
- WebService support
- RemObjects classes
- RemObjects RODL import wizard
- standard REST RPC classes
- standard SOAP RPC classes
- Local database support
- TW3Dataset + aux classes
- More standard components
- More properties and events for the existing components
- WebGL support and 3d game project type
- New and improved designer
- Registration of user-controls in the component palette
The product will see four major updates per year, with a sequence of hotfixes in-between. The first hotfix is set to appear in June.
- Hotfix – June 18th, 2012
- RemObjects support
- Automatic update function
- Bugfixes and improvements
- Update 1 – August 20th, 2012
- New designer
- Database support
- WebGL and game project type
- Commandline compiler
- Update 2 – November 19th, 2012
- User controls in component palette
- Metro driver
- File actions
- Update 3 – February 18th, 2013
- Microsoft IIS plugin
- Apache server plugin
- RO server plugin
- Standalone server
- Preliminary server side project
- Web workers
By the end of this 12 month cycle everything will be in place for the next stage of evolution, which naturally is server side projects and web worker support. At that point in time, Smart Mobile Studio will represent a complete solution which covers everything related to HTML5 development, with no shortcuts having been taken – and with supreme support for all the high level language constructs of Object Pascal.
The Smart Mobile Studio team