Wow – I would never have thought so many people would download the beta! Or should I say alpha. It really was a disaster to find out that the auto-complete on monkeynews replaced our new 0.5.x build zip-name with the older alpha zip-name. So almost 100 people downloaded the wrong zip. Thankfully we corrected it, so the wast majority of users got the right version.
So please double-check: If the title of the IDE does not say “build 0.5.x” then you must go to your email (we issued a correction message) and download the beta version! I have been cursing since friday because of that mistake.
Although this blunder put a shadow over the whole release experience, the weekend ended as a small victory due to all the positive feedback we got (obviously from people who got the right download link). My personal favorite was “It bloody works! Awsome!”. That comment made my day 🙂
Ok let’s wrap it up
I am happy to say that a huge chunk of the proposals and bugs have been fixed. I have also started on smarting up the IDE a bit, so right now I’m adding the final touches to “CTRL + CLICK” functionality like we have in Delphi. It already recognizes unit-names, class-names and method-names from the entire RTL – so it looks good. Not sure how to get synEdit to play ball though, but i’ll find a way.
So all in all we have the following chores left:
- Finish the designer with common editing functions
- Finish the globals editor
- Get rid of the buggy synEdit search/replace dialogs (!)
- Write property editors for font, border etc. so they show up in the inspector
As far as the RTL goes I have a couple of items on my list:
- Global key hook for full screen apps
- Add code donated by friends to the RTL (gestures, sound-api etc.)
- Speed fixes, better error management and more compile options (css as external file etc.)
And that’s basically it for version 1.0 in terms of features. So it’s time to tie up the last lose ends, double, triple and quad check everything – and then it’s done.
- Databases and datalists
- Support all browsers
Paying customers will receive updates sequentially (which includes IDE enhancements, new units, updates to the RTL, platform files and compiler updates) of-course. I already have around 200 items on my “must add” list for version 1.1 (including support for remobjects services) so don’t think we will be resting on our laurels 🙂
Datalists is really going to surprise you. It’s actually very close to the old TDataset terminology (I will probably call it TDataset to make it more familiar).
Jai Jai Ganesha!